When the Cake Lost Its Sweetness
![]() |
| AI generated image |
The first incident dates back to when I was in 5th or 6th grade—I don’t remember exactly. Back then, I felt that my sister's birthdays were celebrated more grandly than mine.
So, on the eve of my birthday, I insisted that my parents buy me a new dress and take me out for dinner with friends. One of my friends and her mother supported the idea, and we went out to eat all my favourite dishes, and I even cut a cake. However, when it was time to pay the bill, I noticed a certain expression on my father's face. Later, I came to understand that he was going through a financial crisis at the time, yet still gave in to my stubborn wishes. What hurt more was overhearing that same friend and her mother making fun of the situation behind our backs. That day taught me a valuable lesson: birthday celebrations aren’t as important as having loving and supportive parents. My priorities started shifting from that point on.The second incident happened in 10th grade. Since it was our final year together, I invited all my friends home to celebrate. My father even baked a cake, and my mother prepared some delicious food. To my disappointment, not a single friend showed up. I was deeply hurt, and from that day on, I decided never to invite anyone home for my birthday again.
The third and most impactful incident happened during my final year of graduation. There was someone I genuinely considered a best friend. I invited them home to celebrate, introduced them to my family, and they even brought me a cake. Unfortunately, that person ended up betraying my trust later on. That experience completely shattered any remaining excitement or expectations I had for birthdays.
Now, my birthday feels like any other day. No celebrations, no new clothes, no expectations of wishes—except from my family, who remain the only people that truly matter to me. Over time, I’ve also developed a strong dislike for birthday cakes. It's not anyone else's fault—just a reflection of the bitter memories attached to them.
-Katha

No comments:
Post a Comment